This course is intended for all staff that will be required to work near or adjacent to DC conductor rail on behalf of Network Rail.
Its purpose is to provide staff that will carry out work near or adjacent to DC conductor rail with the underpinning knowledge required to safely carry out their duties in line with current Network Rail standards.
This course is intended to be an extra module to the current PTS course for all staff working in DC electrified areas and replaces the existing PTS DC module.
This course can also be delivered as a stand alone course for staff already in possession of the current PTS DC
competency or who are transferring into a DC electrified area and currently hold PTS only.
Upon successful completion of this course, results will be forwarded by the training provider to the NCCA for issue of a Sentinel Track Safety Card endorsed with PTS DCCR.
This is a key part of enhancing the competence of all staff working in DC electrified areas which will lead to the strengthening of the safety culture within Network Rail.
Key Aims & Objectives
To provide the delegates with the skills, knowledge and behaviours required to work safely near or adjacent to DC
At the end of the training the delegate will be able to:
- Describe the principles of the DC electrified system.
- Identify the main components of the DC conductor rail system.
- Identify hazards and risks associated with being near or adjacent to the DC conductor rail.
- Describe how to cross the DC conductor rail safely.
- Describe how to transit tools and equipment safely across the DC conductor rail.
- Describe defects that would render insulated tools and equipment unfit for purpose.
- Identify hazards associated with working within DC Isolations.
- Describe the work safe and emergency response procedures.
- Demonstrate how to inspect insulated tools before use.
- Demonstrate the correct application and removal of conductor rail shields.
- Identify defective tools and shields.
- Identify the three risk control areas as stated in NR/L3/MTC/EP0152.
- Demonstrate how to cross the conductor rail safely.
- Explain how to safely transit tools, materials and equipment within the DC electrified area.
- Demonstrate how to apply a Track Circuit Operating Clip safely.
Pre-requisites & Requirements
Delegates must meet the following requirements in order to book onto this course:
- Before attending this training, a person shall have attended and successfully completed the
Personal Track Safety (PTS) course.